[consulting] Sluggishness Concern

John Fletcher net at saltwebsites.com
Thu Mar 5 18:30:06 UTC 2009

Personally I would agree that shared hosting can be a mixed bag, however I
wouldn't blanket write off shared hosting. I've had success with it.

Sorry I can't recommend any hosts in the US, assuming that's what you want.
I've used www.newsprout.com.au with success in Australia, definitely enough
resources allocated, but if you've got a generic domain (.com etc) site you
should make sure you host it in the country you are primarily targeting.

If you have access to PhpMyAdmin or similar make sure the mysql_query_cache
is enabled and set to a non-zero value. Once a host failed to enable that
and it caused major performance issues. Also you might narrow the problem
down to logged-in-users vs non logged-in-users.

Regards,

John