[consulting] Future of the Consultants Group... groups.drupal.org

Eric Goldhagen eric at openflows.com
Sat Mar 7 21:02:47 UTC 2009

At 1:53 PM -0500 3/6/09, Sam Cohen wrote:

>It's not that we are going to be saying anything negative, but it's
>nice to have a place to ask other professionals questions without it
>being known by prospective clients that you don't know the answer.

It is important that a Free Software worker or consulting group
understand that there is no shame in not knowing all the answers.

I try to get people to understand that they should look for
workers/consultants/dev shops that are honest enough to be open about
not knowing everything.

Seeing that someone knows where to ask the questions is what is
important. I've often joked about printing business cards for
everyone at OCTL that has their job title as "Learning on the Job."

Knowing when to look to the community for answers and knowing where
in the community to look for those answers is a sign of a skill, not
ignorance -- we should all do what we can to get potential clients to
understand that.

Having these discussions in public helps enforce this idea.

--Eric