[consulting] preparing clients for Drupal 5 obsolesence

Eric Goldhagen eric at openflows.com
Tue Mar 10 01:02:02 UTC 2009

At 11:34 PM +0100 3/9/09, Lafont, Denis wrote:
>+1 for me.
>
>All our new engagements are D6, and starting to convince D5 users to
>switch to D6 now that most key modules have been migrated.
>
>Your "no more security patch in 9 months" is a very valid point ;-)

We are starting any new projects that come in using D6 but intend to
maintain the sites of any number of clients that will still run D5
for some unknown time into the future.

Many of our smaller non-profit clients can't afford to upgrade often
enough to keep up with the pace of drupal development.

Our solution has been to backport security patches that are relevant
to older versions. We did this for 4.6 when 5 came out, and have been
doing it with 4.7 since the release of 6. This gives folks the extra
time necessary to handle the cost and time of upgrades.

Once 7 is out, we'll do the same for 5.

We've asked a couple of times to have a space on Drupal.org or in the
repository for these backports but have met resistance, so we host
them on our own site as a service to the community.
http://openflows.com/drupal/security

--Eric