[consulting] preparing clients for Drupal 5 obsolesence

Alex Urevick-Ackelsberg Alex at ZivTech.com
Tue Mar 10 17:22:19 UTC 2009

> I agree about the website being living and breathing, but if I just bought
a new car, and there are some inventions in the course of the next 18
months, I don't want to be told that if I don't trade in immediagtely, I
deserve what I get.

The real problem is, imo, those consultatnts that hide the real costs of a
piece of technology. In a previous career I was a Sys/Network Admin for a
large shool, and at that school we were not allowed to just go buy a
computer for X amount if we only had X amount of dollars in the budget for
the forseeable future, as the on-going costs associated with maintaining
that computer had to be taken into account. I can't see why it should be any
different for purchasing a website (or any piece of equipment for that
matter). There are hidden costs in every technology, and it is our
responsibility as profressionals to inform/educate our clients on these.

> A website developed in Drupal 5 last year is not at EOL.

It will be in 5 months. This is a fundamental decision that has been made by
the Drupal community, and I think it's a damn good one. If they need a
longer life cycle, they probably need Acquia (or a consultant such as
yourself or Eric that is willing to maintain a non-supported version of
software).

--
Alex Urevick-Ackelsberg
ZivTech, LLC