[consulting] preparing clients for Drupal 5 obsolesence

Sam Cohen sam at samcohen.com
Tue Mar 10 19:13:53 UTC 2009

> > Only if they ask for new functionality and the cost of implementing it
> > is cheaper if an upgrade is involved should the client be expected to
> > change to the new shiny Drupal
>
> This is where I disagree, in regards to making the decision based on
> what is cheaper (right now).
>
> What I am advocating is that consultants make the Drupal 6 upgrade
> required before implementing new features on a Drupal 5 site, even if
> that is MORE expensive (right now) than implementing said features in
> Drupal 5.

Matt,

Are you actually suggesting that developers should refuse to add features to
Drupal 5 sites  even if they never told the client when they first built the
Drupal 5 site that they were going to be doing this?

That seems incredibly unfair to clients, especially those with limited
budgets.

In truth, I wouldn't even consider having clients agree to this for future
sites.  If I did, I'd have to say, ok, I'm going to build your site in
Drupal 6 today, but at some point in the future I'm going to refuse to add
any new features unless you spend X dollars to upgrade to Drupal 7 -- and if
we're talking about a heavily customized site that X can be many thousands
of dollars.

I've still got a couple of 4.7 sites that are serving nonprofit clients very
well and they are very happy with them.  I'd like it if they paid for an
upgrade, but I can't imagine requiring them to do so.

Sam