[consulting] preparing clients for Drupal 5 obsolesence

Matt Chapman Matt at NinjitsuWeb.com
Tue Mar 10 20:08:48 UTC 2009

Sam Cohen wrote:
> I've still got a couple of 4.7 sites that are serving nonprofit
> clients very well and they are very happy with them.  I'd like it if
> they paid for an upgrade, but I can't imagine requiring them to do so.

By the way, I was ignorant of these issues when I set up my first two
clients with Drupal. I now do their security updates for free, and if
they haven't upgraded of their own accord by the time Drupal 5 is EOL, I
will upgrade them to D6 for free. I consider the unpaid time the cost of
my Drupal education. I offer my new clients a monthly maintenance plan
to cover the cost of security updates. If they refuse it, and lack
in-house expertise to apply the updates themselves, they do so fully
educated about the risks they are taking.

-Matt