[consulting] Drupal-friendly Graphic Design (new subject)

George D. DeMet demet at palantir.net
Wed Mar 11 14:13:38 UTC 2009

I think the biggest difference here is that Young is speaking from the
perspective of an in-house designer at a Drupal development shop, and
isn't dealing with the same realities as those of us who frequently work
with creative partners and clients who may or may not already be
familiar with the software.

While it may be fine to use those terms in-house, telling a client or
creative partner that the design concepts they've spent so much time,
thought, and money developing are full of "errors" or "mistakes" would
be catastrophic from a client relationship perspective and changing some
elements just to be more "Drupal-friendly" would in some cases
fundamentally undermine the branding and/or identity of the project.

When possible, we try to work closely with the client and/or creative
partner starting as early in the design process as possible so that we
can identify sooner rather than later which elements will be
particularly time-consuming to implement.  What we often do in these
cases is provide two estimates: one for how long it will take to
implement the element as designed, and one for how long it will take to
implement if the design or functionality is tweaked to be more
"Drupal-friendly".  Then it's up to the client to decide which approach
they want to take given the constraints of their budget and timeline.

As I've mentioned here before, education is vital to this process, not
just for developers to help designers understand what can most easily be
achieved using Drupal (or any CMS), but also for designers to help
developers understand how and why good design is so important to the
success of many projects, and why something that may look "just as good"
to you or me actually isn't in many cases.

There was a lot of talk about this at Drupalcon DC, and the good news is
that I think we're finally starting to see the designers and themers
within the community get together and speak out about what tools Drupal
could provide to more easily accommodate sophisticated designs.