[consulting] preparing clients for Drupal 5 obsolesence

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 17:39:26 UTC 2009

> The most important reason is that it *won't* have all security updates.
> After Drupal 7 is released, the security team will no longer release updates
> for Drupal 5.

This is a very valid point.

> Given the choice between 10-15 hours of upgrades now, or 5-10 hours of
> backporting future security patches over the next year or two, I'd rather
> spend the extra time to get my clients up to date.

This is not valid for many of my clients, however. Nor are your other
points. I do not doubt that they are entirely valid for many clients,
including a few of mine. For my bigger clients, however, their
investment in customized themes and custom module code is quite
significant. For such a site, I don't think an upgrade is warranted.

But I definitely understand your reasoning.

Thanks. :)