[consulting] preparing clients for Drupal 5 obsolesence

Innodus Devel devel at innodus.com
Thu Mar 12 16:12:35 UTC 2009

Hi you all.

My 2cents. Security is not a concern for everybody. Most of my customers
doesn't allow anyone to access their sites, only them manage the content
and functionallities, and some even don't manage anything. I still have
some sites at 4.6 or 4.7 since the customer feels happy with their site
the way it is.

Many small and medium sized european companies are worried at all about
web technologies, which is a pity, but it is also a reality. It's just
up to us, web consultants, to think in terms of drupal 5 or 6, or CCK or
nodereferences, or jQuery or whatever. The only techy words that
customers usually know are Google, positioning (not SEO at all) and
Flash; luckily my customers have added "Drupal" to that huge list of
technological concepts.

Telling a customer that it should upgrade every year to a new drupal and
that it could cost something between 600 and whatever (2000?) euros is
just scaring people. It won't have any sense "per-se" for the customer.
Not even if in 3 years time we got hyper-supra-mega-drupal-9 and they
are still on drupal 5 but working with no problems.

Obviously would be so long to explain the benefits of investing on a
year-base upgrade, mostly reason we all perfectly know, understand and
subscribe on that list, that having a customer "sensitive" to that
investment, basically considering how much they saved having a site
built only with the cost of consultants and designers, would be the
ideal scenario.

IMHO. Best regards :-)

      Jordi Trujillo Rius
        www.innodus.com