[consulting] Freelancing, Finances and Finding Work

George Por George at Community-Intelligence.com
Sun Mar 15 08:14:40 UTC 2009

hi Sammy,

> they wonder why on earth should they give me such a rate when some other bozo
is only asking for $30 an hour and he also claims to know how to program.

I empatize with your issue, and on the receiving end of Drupal services, I
have a similar one. I’ve been paying up to €50/hour to folks who claimed to
be Drupal experts, who couldn’t do the job and when I hired them I had no
idea what they really are capable to do. A couple of months and lot of
wasted money later, I learned form the next programmer that the previous guy
had no clue of what he was doing. That cycle has repeated 4 times, the next
one always blaming the previous one of the messy state of our sites.

I grew so desperate over this situation that I am considering abandoning the
Drupal platform, where I am totally dependent on programmers and look for an
alternative platform that I could maintain without technical knowledge.
However, I have many Drupal-based sites and that would not be an easy to
choice, neither. So I want to give it one more try. Given that I don’t know
you, how can I get a sense that you are not one of the “other bozos” that
you talked about?

> I am looking for more work, but, as usual, not entirely sure how to find it.

Well, maybe you’ve just one found one if you can answer my question above
and if I can afford your fee. What I’m looking for is ongoing site
maintenance, upgrades, customization, and light programming. If you, or
anybody else is interested to explore that possibility, drop me a line.

George