[consulting] Cleaning Up After Bad Developers

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Tue Mar 24 13:26:55 UTC 2009

I've had a few jobs where the original developer has been somewhat
clueless about Drupal.

I had one job where several bits of functionality that should have been
implemented as modules were sitting in the theme's template.php. I've
rewritten 'modules' that a client had written which were not written
using the Drupal API at all. They were separate php files in the root
directory. When I first saw them, I assumed that the original dev was
doing something with bootstrapping Drupal.... no such luck!

For better or for worse, there is no minimum level of competence
required to call yourself a 'Drupal consultant' or 'Drupal developer'.
Unfortunately, as long as you write stuff which works, no matter in how
haphazard a way, most client swill never be able to tell the difference
- only devs further down the line who have to clean up your mess.

So there is a bit of a 'buyer beware' for clients when choosing a
developer. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do about it. It would
be unprofessional in most circumstances to criticize another developer..
and beside - I am sure most of us do *something* the wrong way.
Otherwise Drupal wouldn't be the constant learning experience it is.

I kind of would like to see some kind of accreditation made available
through the Drupal Association which hopefully will be able to indicate
that a specific dev has some competence, and perhaps help the customers
out there avoid some of these other types of 'Drupal developers'.

Let the flames begin!

Brian