[consulting] Cleaning Up After Bad Developers

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Tue Mar 24 13:51:02 UTC 2009

Fred Jones wrote:
> I also once saw something like that--where a developer sort of wrote
> his own functionality in pure PHP with no Drupal API and then just
> 'attached' it to Drupal. Twice I saw that in fact.
I wonder if we were cleaning up after the same guy. Unlikely, I know...
> I disagree that it's unprofessional to criticize. If it's a small
> point, then perhaps yes--like you say, many of us don't know the API
> backwards and forwards BUT when a developer obviously has no idea how
> to use Drupal, i.e. no updates or he writes "modules" with no API
> calls etc. then I think it's simply educational to tell the client
> that while it works, it was done incorrectly and for these and these
> reasons, it needs to be fixed. Security being one very good reason.

Good points.

> Yeah, like Brainbench? Drupaldrench? Won't happen but it's a cute idea. :)
My main concerns are that it would become:

 1. valueless (too easy to obtain)
 2. too expensive get / maintain (much more burden on new developers, or
smaller businesses)
 3. clients latch on and every posted job now requires this. If #2 were
true as well, it makes it that
    much tougher for new devs to get a start in this business.

But I agree - not likely to happen.

Brian