[consulting] Structuring Security and Module Update Services

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Fri Mar 27 16:18:06 UTC 2009

Sam,

I put my clients on a monthly 'maintenance' contract to handle these
things. Generally, 3-4 hours, although some clients want more, some less.

What I've done is create a test site which includes a copy of every
module I've used on a client's site, along with any custom stuff I've
used that depends on certain module functionality. I monitor that site
for updates, and when a module is updated, I update the test site for,
make sure that any client-specific monkeying I've done works, then roll
it out to the clients.

It takes a bit of time up front to replicate some stuff on a testsite in
addition to the client's site... but it pays off because you can catch
any bugs introduced by modules ahead of time.

This approach is starting to get a bit a bit clunky though. I am
starting to think about using SimpleTest, and writing my own tests to
test for client-specific functionality to ensure that the module
upgrades are a bit less painless.

Brian