[consulting] Structuring Security and Module Update Services

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Fri Mar 27 16:35:39 UTC 2009

Sam,

The X hours labor are included in the hosting contract - and that is
billed regardless of whether it's used or not. However, most of my
clients are good about making sure they make use of it. It covers
updating to the latest maintenance release of a Drupal series, module
updates, and someone to hold their hand, pat them on the back, and tell
them it is OK when they break their website.

Anything above the agreed upon hours is billed separately.

Not all my clients go for it, but most do. It really depends on the
needs of the client. If they have a site that has very heavy activity /
creation of user-generated content, or are concerned about security and
guaranteed uptime, then they will go for this. If they aren't so
concerned about security, have more static websites, and can stand
re-uploading from a backup if their site is exploited, then they
generally opt out of the maintenance hours, or cut it down to 1 or 2 hours.

Some clients use it in consulting time to talk about future projects, or
discuss how X feature might integrate with their website etc. etc.

Brian