[consulting] Staying Current

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Sun Mar 29 09:05:51 UTC 2009

Sorry I'm coming into this thread a bit late.

But I've been working for the last year on a site with 100 custom modules!

Upgrading to D6 isn't a realistic option.

Backporting security fixes stays the same sized task no matter how big
your site is.

Upgrading Drupal doesn't.

Big sites are often conservative and so wouldn't adopt D6 for new
development until recently, some of these sites are just launching now
on D5.

Roshan Shah wrote:
> Fred,
>
> Drupal supports current version and 1 version prior.  Since Drupal 7 has
> a code freeze in Sept 2009, you can expect the D7 release by end of the

OK

> year. When D7 gets released, the community will support D7 and D6.
>
> D5 support will be dropped at that juncture.

Who gets to say what "the community" will do?

Because Drupal has expanded a lot over recent years and has been adopted
by some big sites - surely there is a stronger argument than in the past
for longer term support.

So maybe the existing security team won't take it on - but if there are
enough people in the community who do want to support D5 for longer then
I can't see why anyone else in the community would want to prevent this.

--

Sean Burlington

www.practicalweb.co.uk