[consulting] Staying Current

Alex Urevick-Ackelsberg Alex at ZivTech.com
Sun Mar 29 12:39:09 UTC 2009

> Whatever that figure is, there certainly tens if not hundreds of
> thousands of D5 sites out there, and as mentioned, many of them are
> large sites owned by large entities. My guess is that a very large
> percentage, if not the majority, do not have a strong interest in
> upgrading. That's just my guess.

I highly, highly doubt that this is true. If you are a "large entity"
running a "large site" then you are almost certainly going to update as
often as you need to in order to keep your site alive and healthy. Even
those dinosaurs that refuses to update ie6 are constantly forced to update
almost every other piece of software and hardware, most often around ideas
of EoL and support.

It's the small sites that we're talking about here, really. Any big site
that doesn't update *deserves *whatever bad things happen to their site. If
you can't be bothered to put locks on your house, don't be surprised when
someone breaks in, espescially when your house is accessible from almost
anywhere on earth.

--
Alex Urevick-Ackelsberg
ZivTech, LLC