[consulting] Staying Current

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 15:08:49 UTC 2009

> On the other hand, you can guarantee nobody else will use or support your
> code if you never release it.

I personally don't even have an account to release it on d.o. :)

> How do you know this? Seems to me that even the silliest pieces of code
> we've released have been used by others. You just never know...

Not silly but rather 100% custom. As in unless you have our custom
data fields and our custom status fields, then not only will the code
not work, it wouldn't even make sense. I at least have modules like
that.

> I think it's worth noting that I'm not accusing anyone on this list of
> selling "crap" or purposefully misleading a client. I'm just stating a very
> uncontroversial fact that there are many people who do both of these
> purposefully, and many more who do the second with the best of intentions.

Agreed. Thank you for clarifying.

> Technology costs money to maintain, and even if you don't know precisely how
> much the cost is, you should know that it's there.
>
> As I also stated, we too have legacy clients from when we started using
> Drupal whose sites we didn't build in the way I'm advocating, and we've
> migrated/fixed/rebuilt many others. My opinions are coming from my own
> experience (both in this real and from my experience as a Network/Systems
> Admin for a mid-sized university for 8 years), and while it's perfectly fine
> if my experience doesn't track well to others', I haven't read anything here
> that convinces me to discount them.

Yes, your experience is actually (thus far) very interesting. I was
not aware of these issues before. I now have a much better
understanding.