[consulting] Staying Current

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Sun Mar 29 16:53:13 UTC 2009

Alex Urevick-Ackelsberg wrote:
> And how much of that code have you released into the wild? It strikes
> me that your problem may be, well, your problem. It's not up to me to

You're clearly under the mistaken impression that I'm somehow asking for
your help.

I'm not.

I'm expressing an opinion that support for D5 will continue in one way
or another for some time.

This has clearly already started for older versions of Drupal and I
think it will expand.

> release your code and I can't force you to actually take an active
> part in the community.

Most of my code is very specific to the client I worked for.

Much of it contains information that they consider confidential.

The client is not willing to release any of it.

I have worked on a couple of generic items and may well use the
knowledge gained to contribute code - but my client won't pay for this.

> Start generalizing/releasing your code, and maybe you won't have as many issues.

Why are you telling me what to do?

... and anyway I don't have "lot's of issues"

I don't think backporting security fixes for D5 is going to be a major
challenge. I do think that those that need it will collaborate.

Despite the apparent reluctance of the Drupal establishment to accept this.

--

Sean Burlington

www.practicalweb.co.uk