[consulting] Staying Current

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Mon Mar 30 00:10:32 UTC 2009

Hello, all,

As Khalid (and I'm sure others) have pointed out, this is far from the
first time this conversation has occurred, and it surely won't be the
last. As someone who has survived many of these conversations (and even
participated actively in a few of them) here are my .02

Whenever I hear someone say:

"Drupal should maintain backward compatibility" I hear "It's
inconvenient for me that some individual or company from within the
Drupal community doesn't maintain backward compatibility."

Whenever I hear someone say:

"Drupal should maintain versions from X years ago" I hear "It would be
convenient for me if some individual or company from within the Drupal
community maintained versions from X years ago."

Whenever I hear someone say that maintaining a clean upgrade path, as
opposed to backwards compatibility, is a detriment to Drupal, I have to
wonder when that detriment will begin to be felt. The Drupal community
has been growing steadily for the last several years. Drupal adoption
has been growing steadily over the last several years. The lack of
backwards compatibility has allowed the project to be more nimble and
more adaptive, or the opposite of "stuck."

On a semi-related note, can we please stop saying that "Drupal" should
do something. There is no "Drupal" -- I hate to break it to you, but the
Druplicon is a symbol, and doesn't correspond to any carbon based life
form. "Drupal" has no agency, outside of what we, the members of the
community, provide.

More importantly, this is the consultants list of an open source
project. Presumably, if you're on this list, you have either coding
chops, or access to a team with some coding chops -- which means we can
actually be the change we want to see.

So, here's my idea for the next big Drupal shop, and I'll give it away
here, for nothing, because I have no interest in doing it:

Be the shop that specializes in maintaining legacy installs of Drupal.
Come up with a list of supported modules (cck, views, etc) and support
security releases of those modules, along with core. Combine that with
streamlined upgrade paths: for example, jumping from 5.x to D7. This
combination would likely be a very lucrative model, as there would be
lots of work along these lines. Other shops might even outsource large
upgrades to you.

So if you want to build the Backwards Compatibility API, do it. If you
want to support legacy releases, do it. But if you want other people to
put the time into building what you want, you will likely be disappointed.

Cheers,

Bill

--
FunnyMonkey -- Connect. Click. Learn