[consulting] consulting Digest, Vol 46, Issue 1

DrupalExpert Amit drupalexpertamit at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 12:26:50 UTC 2009

Some notes on the security aspects while giving admin rights to the Drupal
sandbox installation:

1. Allowing someone php execution rights (even through drupal interface),
essentially means giving away full file/folder access to the hosting account
on which the sandbox runs. Hackers can easily "fetch" their own php files on
the server and even setup a browserbased fileftp interface for gaining full
control.
2. If your hosting provider/server admin does not use secure php
configuration, then access to a single hosting account or installation would
mean access to almost all accounts on that hard disk.
3. Also trouble may be caused by spammers using the sandbox to use it as
their own spammail relayers, which can get your server IP blacklisted
causing inconvenience to clients using the server for their projects

But then these are extreme scenarios, if you are opening the sandbox for
your existing and prospective clients only, then above concerns may be
exaggerated.

Regards,
Amit