[consulting] Established clients seeking technical training.

Sam Cohen sam at samcohen.com
Wed Nov 18 00:18:38 UTC 2009

Chris,

I think a lot of folks here do you a disservice by dismissing your concern
that teaching your friend might result in you losing work.  That is a very
real and legitimate concern.  While there is plenty of work out there, a
well paying, easy to get along with bread and butter client that is giving
you work on an ongoing basis is not that easy to find.

It would be wrong for you to sabotage your friend, or your clients efforts
to get cheaper help, but I don't think you should feel obligated to
contribute to your own obsolescence.

Teaching and mentoring is also a very different service than providing
development and consulting.  As a professional, there's no reason you should
be expected to provide that type of service, unless you have already done
so.  I'm pretty sure that if I offered to pay my accountant to teach me how
to do my own taxes, he'd tell me that's not a service he provides -- and you
should be able to say the same.

Sam