[consulting] Ah, the trials and tribulations of sub-ing - a tale of woe

Jeff Greenberg jeff at ayendesigns.com
Tue Nov 24 16:19:18 UTC 2009

I've been a development consultant in one flavor or another (freelance,
humongous computer company, software house, etc.) since punch cards, and
at one point was managing consultant for an international development
practice, so I've seen just about everything...enough to where I am an
independent freelancer now and don't miss the rest :-)

So I have an associate who is a Flash guy, who tosses me online stores
to do a couple-few times a year. It's normally an informal thing, in
terms of him telling me what's involved in the way of anything unusual
with shipping, product options, the other gotchas, and I give him a price.

He comes to me with a site that had an oscommerce store and wants a new
site. Normal cart, nothing special. Only 18 products. Some templating. I
had other things on my calendar, and he needed this started right away,
and said he'd pay double. So I totaled it up, and quote $2500.

Not long after it started, it became obvious that there was going to be
trouble. His client had another consultant under hire, who had wanted
the store business, and in addition to being bent out of shape about not
getting it, managed to get inserted between the owners and my contractor
as a "PM". Those of you who have been PM's will appreciate 'being one'
yet not having a specification, not wanting the project to succeed, and
having nothing be your fault (when I was a PM, the responsibility for
everything fell on me).

But the real issue was that the store was far from normal. A short list
of the customizations I had to make to Ubercart include

    -importing a csv file - column format inconsistent - containing
tracking information for orders, where the order had to have packaging,
shipment, and status automatically created and updated and an email sent

    -automatically exporting orders as edi

    -writing a script to import the oscommerce data

    -custom admin reports

    -creating an intermediary payment gateway (since Ubercart can't
handle two being active) to handle a special card

    -modifying the credit system to account for the normal cards needing
CVV but this other card not only not having CVV but not having an
expiration date

I looked at all of that (by way of a 'QA' document the 'PM' sent...which
basically said where is this stuff?) and told him that none of this was
included in the 'normal store' quote. He said yeah, just do it hourly.

So we get to the end of the project, and (a) I decide not to charge him
double for the hourly stuff nor my expedited/out-of-hours uplift, most
of it having been done at night because I was putting in 12-16 hours a
day, (b) I even gave him a 10% courtesy discount, and the invoice BEYOND
the original was a bit over $7000.

He called and asked whether there wasn't something we could do about the
amount. I said, "yes, you can stop giving fixed-price quotes on anything
without a concrete spec to start with."