[consulting] Ah, the trials and tribulations of sub-ing - a tale of woe

Christian Pearce christian at pearcec.com
Tue Nov 24 16:35:39 UTC 2009

Sorry to hear that.  Next time turn the business down. I had to do that the
other day.  They wanted me to work on a project that had scope but no
specs.  And the budget was already set.  I said I can't do that to risky.

There is nothing worse than being on a fix bid as a sub.  For one you can't
manage the expectations with the client.  Further the client isn't
responsible for paying you, your friend is.  But he won't pay you unless he
gets paid.  Also in that situation you don't really have any way of holding
back code until you get paid.

Hopefully you can recoup some of the money.

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Jeff Greenberg <jeff at ayendesigns.com>wrote:

> So we get to the end of the project, and (a) I decide not to charge him
> double for the hourly stuff nor my expedited/out-of-hours uplift, most
> of it having been done at night because I was putting in 12-16 hours a
> day, (b) I even gave him a 10% courtesy discount, and the invoice BEYOND
> the original was a bit over $7000.
>

> He called and asked whether there wasn't something we could do about the
> amount. I said, "yes, you can stop giving fixed-price quotes on anything
> without a concrete spec to start with."

Christian