[consulting] Is there a Drupal "Web Crawler"?

brendan, fresh-off.com hello at fresh-off.com
Wed Oct 14 01:09:48 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have a client that wants to know if there are any Drupal modules that
search the web for content related to him and his company, and can then
return the results (full articles or links to the content) to his drupal
website.  For example, search the web for instances where "john doe" + "XYZ
Company" both appear in the same piece of content.

Creating the crawler is way beyond my technical ability, so I'm hoping there
are some good open source (preferably a Drupal module) options for this
functionality.  Wikipedia has a list of open source web crawlers, but since
this is a subject I'm unfamiliar with, I'm unsure about whether or not they
can be integrated with Drupal - or if any open source web crawlers are even
meant to be integrated with a CMS.

A little bit more info about the use case: He and his company operate in the
education field and are constantly being featured in articles (interviews,
write-ups, etc) across the web.  In addition - and most importantly -  he
and his company produce several papers/articles that are featured in
articles and education related blogs across the internet as well.  He is
finding that searching manually for this content to be impractical and thus,
would love to have it automatically aggregated and sent to his Drupal site.

Any thoughts, ideas, or pointers in the right direction would be
apprecaiated!

----

brendan, fresh-off.com

Creative Direction & Consultation: Web | Print | Brand

http://fresh-off.com

hello at fresh-off.com

206.328.1067