[consulting] On Visual Design Challenges, or Can you make it darker than that?

Laura pinglaura at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 18:33:23 UTC 2009

Our eyes fool us because our brain fills in context, and equates the
"white" squares as being the same, especially in contrast to the
"black" squares. It's a great illustration of how we don't see what we
see, we see what we interpret. (Art 101 exercise: draw a chair in your
room, but draw only what you see, don't draw lines representing the
edges -- the lines aren't there. It takes work to see the light
instead of the form.)

Which informs us on interaction design as well. Identical offerings
may in fact be seen differently in different contexts because our
brains interpret them differently.

(I love this stuff!)

Laura