[consulting] Module developer looking for subcontracting work

Bram Moreinis bram at gamefacewebdesign.com
Wed Apr 14 13:13:33 UTC 2010

I'll follow up with Brian privately.
> No aspersions cast here, but are you suggesting that DrupalCon become
> a "Time and Motion" productivity conference
Victor, I didn't really understand your post - but you're an expert so
maybe I should?  If you think it's important, please email me off-list?
> Making your methods obvious I guess would lead to driving down the costs and increasing productivity... But also I guess its destroys the competitive advantage of developers who had spend some time to develop their own methodology to simply give it away for $25.00
Sami, I imagine that some coders consider their knowledge of best
practice to be trade secrets, but others realize that knowing how to
recognize best practice in a coder is not the same as being able to
perform it onesself, and so a coder would want to be able to demonstrate
competency on a trivial task so as to be hired for something juicy later.

My idea was not about some Taylorist efficiency study (as I thought
Victor was maybe kidding/implying), but rather that a position exists
between the following two approaches that could be detected over a
coder's shoulder (and I am not being perjorative about these poles):

    * "I know how to do that already, and it will take me 5 minutes but
      since you aren't watching I'll bill you for my knowledge, not
      time, so you'll pay for an hour and be happy you have someone you
      trust."
    * "I don't know how to do that, but I'll Google and Hack until it's
      done and you'll pay me while I do, however long it takes."

-Bram