[consulting] Copyright

Eric Goldhagen eric at openflows.com
Sat Apr 24 17:31:32 UTC 2010

At 8:55 AM -0400 4/24/10, George Lee wrote:
>Hi,
>
>When folks are doing contract work developing modules, is it typical
>to retain copyright over code or to give copyright to the folks who
>are contracting out to you? Do folks have legal contract language
>for both scenarios?

We stipulate that all code is released under the GPL, so it does not
matter who owns the copywrite. If the code is GPL, even if the client
is the copywrite owner, I still get to re-use and contribute that
code back.

We also make it explicit in contracts that our handing code over to
the client at the end of a project is considered distribution, and
thereby requires sharing the code. (Of course this does not include
any private or proprietary information or graphics, etc that the
client already controls under non-free licenses)

"Work For Hire" agreements are aimed at masking the reality of code
creation and distribution. In fact, the person doing the work has no
right to re-use their own code or publicly take credit for its
creation. As such, I consider Work For Hire agreements as being
explicitly in violation of the GPL and will never sign any contract
that contains such an agreement.

--Eric