[consulting] Copyright

George Lee georgeleejr617 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 18:27:14 UTC 2010

> >But doesn't this impact the code-writer's ability to relicense the
> >code? Or say there is a part of the code that they want to re-use
> >for a non-Drupal project or non-GPL project -- then they need
>

> I'm having a hard time thinking of examples of what you are talking
> about. Can you give me something more specific?

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but here's an example. Some
non-profit wants a web site that will encrypt some sensitive information. I
create a Drupal module that does this, and part of this is some functions
and code that do some data manipulation and encryption.

Later on, I want to use that code in another project with encryption -- not
for Drupal.

>Also, to clarify -- there's two different scenarios I'm thinking of.
> >One is when a Drupal consulting company contracts out to a
> >programmer; another is when there's basically a one-person
> >consulting company or one person signing a contract. In the former
> >case I could understand why the shop would want to retain ownership
> >over the code. It's the latter case I'm asking about; I'm interested
> >in maintaining copyright over the code I write.
>
> Ah, my examples are from a small company or worker-owned cooperative
> being contracted by a client to do work. That might or might not
> apply to the example you are interested in.

It might, actually. To clarify more:

Scenario 1: Client Company A (e.g., a school or a pizza shop) contracts to
Drupal Consulting Company B. Drupal Consulting Company B subcontracts to
little programmer C. In this case I could see why B says, "C -- we'll
contract to you to write code for us, but we own it."

Scenario 2: Client Company A (e.g., a school or a pizza shop) contracts to
Little Company B or Little Programmer B.

I think you're talking about Scenario 2, and that's the one I'm talking
about also -- one where a sole programmer or small company is helping a
business directly, as opposed to working for a company which is in turn
doing programming for someone else.

Also there are some old threads that were helpful for me to go through:
- http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/consulting/2008-January/002313.html
- http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/consulting/2005-December/000187.html

Peace, community, justice,
- George