[consulting] AGPL [was: Copyright]

Luigi Bai lpb at focalpoint.com
Sun Apr 25 21:50:02 UTC 2010

Generally, here's more information about Affero GPL:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SeparateAffero
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#UnreleasedMods
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AGPLv3InteractingRemotely

and others on the page generally (search for AGPL).

To answer your question: it depends on who's running the server. If the
person(s) running the server you're interacting with is/are the copyright
holders of the AGPL code on that server, then technically they don't have to
disclose anything to you. When they convey code to you under the AGPL, -you-
have to comply with the terms. That means -you- would have to release all the
mods to that code if users interact with it on your server over the network.

If you're asking about whether you can trust a server running AGPL code
because the source they serve you is what they're running, well the AGPL is
not designed to provide you that level of assurance. If the server
operator(s) is/are not the copyright holder(s), the server operator(s)
is/are -required- to release the code under the terms of the AGPL, but of
course any given server could be out of compliance. If they are, the
copyright holder(s) can bring suit to compel them to either comply with the
AGPL or stop using the software. Some tips on reporting violations are on
another page: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html .

So, broadly, yes they can't -legally- change the code without disclosing the
changes to users, but the question of whether they're complying or not is a
different one; and as a user, an issue you can only evaluate based on trust.

This is my opinion only; I'm not a lawyer and can't provide legal advice.
Luigi