[consulting] How to write books about Drupal (or anything, I guess)

Tom Geller tom at tomgeller.com
Mon Aug 2 19:22:39 UTC 2010

Hey, gang. In my last note I said to contact me if you're curious about how to get into writing Drupal books. But I might as well post my thoughts here: I'm not secretive about any of this. And who better than freelance Drupal consultants to write Drupal books?

I think best in bullet points, so...

* I got the lynda.com and Peachpit gigs by submitting proposals. Putting these together can be a lot of work, essentially on spec.

* Most publishers have submission guidelines on their web sites.
  * Peachpit = http://www.peachpit.com/about/write_for_us.aspx
  * lynda.com = http://www.lynda.com/aboutus/callfortrainers.aspx (not really submission guidelines, but that's how you get started with them)

* I decided on Peachpit in consultation with my agent, Neil Salkind (http://www.salkindagency.com).

* I don't use an agent for lynda.com: I met up with them at Macworld 2007.

* You don't need an agent in computer publishing, but it helps. They really do provide useful guidance in exchange for their 15%. Plus, they give you credibility.

* Many publishers in computer publishing take unagented submissions, particularly if you have a track record.

* If you don't have a publishing track record, a series of blog posts might be persuasive. In any case you need to show both that you can write instructional material *and* that you can finish large-scale projects.

* Payment is by royalties, with advances. What that means is that you'll typically get a payment when you sign the contract, and another when your final revisions are accepted. Advances in the low four figures are common. It's not enough to live on for the duration of the book's creation, so you'll either need savings ore other work to tide you over! When the book starts selling, you get a percentage, typically 5-15% of the cover price. However, those advances were against royalties: You don't get paid until you "earn out" what they already paid you. Further, the publisher might "hold back" a certain amount of money in expectation of bookstore returns. Them's the breaks.

* So: A moderate amount of money when you sign the contract, an equal amount when you're done writing, then no money for a while -- or ever, if it doesn't earn out. On the other hand, a successful "evergreen" title can pay royalties for years.

I'm happy to respond to questions here. Cheers,

---
          Tom Geller  *  Oberlin, Ohio  *  415-317-1805
             Writer/Editor * http://www.tomgeller.com
    articles, marketing, training materials, user guides, books