[consulting] Unionizing Drupal

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Aug 6 23:48:19 UTC 2010

Forking this discussion under an appropriate subject ...

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Victor Kane <victorkane at gmail.com> wrote:

> We can all laugh our heads off, but the law of falling rate of return
> (Marx) and the huge efforts being made (even in the Drupal community via the
> sanctification of oDesk) to commoditize Drupal consulting work will make us
> consultants laugh on the other side of our faces.
>
> Only an international union (which we should have done at the cusp of the
> curve, not now that it is dropping) can defend our rights as working people.

Let us for a minute forget the negative connotations of "union" in the
mindset
of many in the USA ... That is a bug topic in itself: are unions good or
bad,
and why ...

Let me throw in why this will not work regardless of the above ...

A union works within a certain geographical and jurisdiction area.

I can't see how an international union would work. Suppose Elbonians
refuse to join. What can the international union do to prevent work going
to them? Sue them? Under which country's law? Enforcing which laws?

Unless it is The Hague ...

Would site owners be punished for not using unionized Drupal? How?
What stops them from using Joomla then if Drupal has become such
a pain?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.