[consulting] Unionizing Drupal

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 09:31:59 UTC 2010

I am so excited that this line of debate has been started.

A lot of very interesting and thoughtful contributions to be sure.

The Adam Smith quote is wonderful. Marx would love it. Did.

Just three quick points:

1. The chess pieces Adam Smith is talking about are the corporations
struggling (many of them unsuccessfully) to stay afloat in the context of
the deepening world capitalist crisis (now felt for the first time in the
heart of the US as many lose their homes, their jobs, etc. and the working
class is besieged with forces seeking to divide it through racism and
placing the blame on immigrants, etc.) can only do so if they force the
working class to pay for the crisis, via unemployment and above all reducing
wages. It's a wholesale attack on the working class world-wide as seen
through the "adjustments" in various European countries. The only way to
fight it is for those who work for a living to oppose that attack through
organization.

2. Unions are hardly a blast from the past. Every day actions take place all
over the world without which wages and benefits would plummet in all manner
of industries and services. Greece, France, Teachers strikes in the US,
other many strikes. The problem that occur with unions is that without a
political program and loyalty to the class it is organized to defend, the
leadership gets bought out and may represents the interests of the state and
the bosses. We need to struggle to take back the unions, and for their
survival, as the only way for working people to defend their wages and
benefits in the workplace via the overcoming of the limits of each
individual workplace, so that wages and benefits can be defended in the
whole industry and not just in a single shop; but we need to struggle also
for these unions to be independent of the bosses and the state and the upper
crust of union bureaucracy they create. As Sam says, the corporations main
need (not because they are bad but because it is the only way they can stay
alive) is to lower wages. Our need is to oppose them, and to propose a
political program to refound society on new foundations to overcome the
limits of capitalism.

3. The organization must be internationalist. Fighting in each country, as
Khalid says, but internationalist in scope, since the same legal limitations
affect everyone: I live and work in Argentina with European, Canadian and US
clients... what redress to I get?

Drupal is not immune to all of this, these forces moving the chess pieces
(and they are the real ones!) are moving us too, and we will be moved,
whether consciously, as architects of our destiny, or unconsciously, as
victims.

The view that the software developer, like the doctor in the middle ages,
will always muddle through by leapfrogging from one technology to another,
doesn't take notice of the fact that there is a huge process of destruction
and concentrations through merging, and most large technology companies are
announcing huge layoffs. The recent surge in freelancers success is due to
corporate abuse of the open source habitats as a way of outsourcing the work
these laid off workers used to do, which will not leave those communities
unchanged and which cannot last more than the time it takes those
corporations to change the product into what it needs and to lower wages to
the lowest possible level: all you need to do is look at oDesk and see that
the level they are trying to get to is $5 / hour.

Victor