[consulting] Unionizing Drupal

Eric Goldhagen eric at openflows.com
Sat Aug 7 20:17:41 UTC 2010

At 4:10 PM -0400 8/7/10, Eric Goldhagen wrote:

>I don't want to mis-state how they organize, so I'm going to make
>sure I have it right by talking to some of them first, then I'll post
>more here.

In order to give an incentive to the employers, one of the
interesting things that IATSE does is this: when one person signs a
contract to do a specific job on a production, a second person that
the union knows is qualified to do the same work also signs. This
provides the employer with a certain protection, knowing that if the
first person gets hit by a bus, that the second person will be there
to take over. They use a set of standard contracts which take into
account different skills and the difference in cost of living and
labor in different regions, but those base contracts are negotiated
as a union so when an individual contractor lands a gig, they work
within the pay range and skillset defined in the larger contract.

I'm still not sure if our industry is organizable, but if it is it
would be under a similar model.

--Eric