[consulting] Unionizing Drupal

Greg Holsclaw greg at t2media.com
Sun Aug 8 18:34:55 UTC 2010

On the note of decreasing wages, thus is a fact if this tech industry. As a tech becomes more used, more people join the ranks of trying to make money in it.  This competition will depress wages. No economic model based on experience refutes this.

To keep up your wage don't rest on your laurels. Keep learning new tools. If last year you could bill $80/hr don't expect to do that next year. More people will learn Drupal and under bid you.

To keep your wage in this industry keep moving forward. Be an early adopter of Drupal 7. Learn Drush, join Dojo, give patches to modules, create a theme, learn JQuery or CSS finally.

> Any system that seeks economic efficiency over equity is, IMO, evil...

This is absurd by simple example. Venezuela currently has rotting food in warehouses and docks because of the 'equalized' ownership of grocery stores. Their social managers aren't experienced or capable to move food around a nation before it rots, yet all the capitalistic store owners they put out of business sure were able to do it 'efficiently'.

Efficiency makes all things cheaper, makes them faster. All people are equal in dignity in my eyes, bit not all are equal in skill set nor effort. I work hard to provide fir my family. Much harder than many I know. And I expect to be duly compensated.

Yes there are rich capitalist with hordes of money. But there are plenty of generous, fair ones who treat their debs well. Gladly I work for one of them. And if I didn't I would find one or learn new skills and then find one.

Greg
Sent from my Mobile Office