[consulting] Unionizing Drupal

Heinz D. Wegener heinz at simplexcreative.com
Sun Aug 8 23:19:23 UTC 2010

> From my understanding, this list is for those that do drupal
> consulting work to talk about a variety of topics. This is why you
> often see non-job related discussions, that is what this list is for.
>
> If you are only interested in requests for proposals for consulting
> gigs, this is the wrong place. You should monitor
> http://groups.drupal.org/jobs instead.

I now understand that I was wrong in my understanding of what this forum was all about, and I thank you for the tip and the clarification. I also thank you for your civility.

> Any system that seeks economic efficiency over equity is, IMO, evil.  As a minority with a significant disability I cannot accept any system that sees me as a less valuable member of society than others.  Less worthy of earning a living and feeding myself and my family.  I don't see the world ever moving to a place where there e is any real equity for those who do not conform to be the product that the corporate consumer wants to purchase to further it's economic interests, but don't tell me that this isn't evil.

You are not at all a less valuable member of society because of your minority status or your disability. I don't doubt that you face a good deal more obstacles because of your disability, and I wish you well in your efforts. But at the same time it sounds like you have a major chip on your shoulder... I absolutely do believe that an employer should have the right to hire who they believe is best suited for any job and should be in complete control of this decision... They have the right to hire based on experience, references, level of education, work history, and work ethic... And if it's not to further their economic interests, then the employees they hire will quickly lose their jobs. The need to hire employees is the result of a realization of economic growth and an increase in work load for a company. Clearly they must continue to further their economic interests in order to pay their employees. If we redistribute everyone's wealth to make everything "equal", then what happens to the motivation to succeed? And consequently, what happens to the jobs? It's not a political viewpoint. It's common sense.

> How difficult is it to ignore this thread? If you don't like the thread,
> ignore it... Freedom of speech, is freedom of speech... get used to it!

I made a point to emphasize that it was a request, and not some kind of demand to take this conversation elsewhere. And I never once even implied that the subject shouldn't be discussed. I wasn't trying to silence anyone. I think that's pretty clear... What's confusing to me is someone screaming "freedom" in the midst of a discussion about unionization. That's somewhat of a contradiction.

For the most part, we all have a choice to either be completely content with our current situation and enjoy the ride with the knowledge and skill set we have, or to strive to create and innovate (whether we are successful at it or not) and increase our knowledge, know-how, and skill set on a regular basis. I believe both are completely valid choices. As long as we all have the freedom to choose one or the other, I don't have an argument with anybody. Don't seek to punish someone because they have something that you don't have. Try using it as motivation. Don't seek to make everyone mediocre for the sake of "equality".

Thanks,
Heinz