[consulting] Host a video contest in Drupal

António P. P. Almeida appa at perusio.net
Fri Aug 13 16:48:21 UTC 2010

On 13 Ago 2010 17h24 WEST, domenics at gmail.com wrote:

> On Aug 13, 2010, at 8:21 AM, George D. DeMet wrote:
>
>> On Aug 13, 2010, at 8:42 AM, liza chua wrote:
>>
>>> hey guys. What do you think about running a video contest in
>>> Drupal? Any example sites that you can give
>>
>> I'm not sure if it's quite what you're looking for, but you may
>> want to check out this case study: http://drupal.org/node/790858
>
> The case study uses the embedded media field with only YouTube
> enabled, so they're using YouTube to host the videos.
>
> I've done a TON of work in the video+Drupal space and I'll echo a
> yourself into and have the budget to support that, use a 3rd party
> service thru the embedded media field and move on.
>
> HTH
> -D

There's one thing to add. I don't know if things have changed since I
checked it about a 1+ year ago. AFAIK most popular video hosting
services re-encode the video you upload to a format that you've little
control over. All of them always provide a FLV version. The <video>
tag is supported only on modern browsers and the dust regarding video
codec formats and the concomitant patent trolling involved is very
much in the air. Furthermore IE has no support for the <video> tag
(only in IE9 beta I believe) so you have to provide the lowest common
denominator in terms of codec availability.

It used to be (I don't know if it still holds) that blip.tv was the
exception to the rule of forced re-encoding. If you uploaded a video
in FLV they didn't touch it, i.e., they respected your encoding and
therefore you had/have control over the quality.

HTH,
--- appa