[consulting] Drupal web design as hobby - shall I start consulting?

Sami Khan sami at etopian.net
Sat Aug 14 19:58:02 UTC 2010

> Q1: Site creation:
>
>  How much money would you ask to create similar site as
> http://MalinaMusic.ru <http://malinamusic.ru/> ?
> (http://MalinaMusic.com<http://malinamusic.com/>- for Google
> translated version). I was thinking about 1000 Euro to create a
> similar site without content (articles etc).

Depends on the market. Generally, $40.00-50.00/hour minimum and
$2500-$3000 minimum for a site like that; in the US or Canada though. You
could probably get more, depends on the client and the amount of effort
needed for customization... But there are plenty of cheapos; who will not
want to pay more
than $1000... some will offer a few hundred. I would suggest avoiding that
for your sake, and to preserve the market.

There are also consulting shops that will subcontract you work and some
may rip you off, so be aware of those too; usually they are looking to make
a buck off a developer and will give you the hardest parts, and try to keep
as much money as they can for themselves. In general, put everything in
writing as to what is to be done and get them to agree through e-mail on
the document. When the spec is finished ask them to pay before you
continue. If they fail to pay, don't give them anything until they either
pay or just walk away; put this in your contract as well.

> Q2: Site creation:
>
> Since I'm a newbie, I have only 1 site in portfolio I need to extend
> portfolio and be very nice with first Customers.

Do some work for a charity.

> Another problem is
> timeline. I'm not sure I can commit to specific schedule. For example I
can
> offer them to pay me 50% only after first version of site is ready and
they
> are happy with it. The rest is paid when site is ready 100%. Of cource
I'm
> risking that they will not pay me at all. But this way I will test
> Consulting, how it works for me without risking Customer money.

You can ask for 50% up front, if you are worried... Don't give them the
code and host it on your site until they at least pay 1/2. If the refuse,
show them the contract and tell them that they are failing their side of
the contract.

> Q3: Site maintenance
>
> What are the components of site maintenance(hosting&support)? At least I
> see
> following
> - End user training how to use CMS
>
> - Hosting cost
> - Regular drupal and modules upgrade
> - End user support if they have questions or messed up something
> - Doing regular site backup (automatically)
> - Recovering site from hacker attacks/spam etc

Most of this work is not very profitable, avoid if possible... If you have
to do it, make sure it's in the contract.

> Is there a good common practise how to quote site support to customer? I
> was
> thinking to quote separately
> 1. Hosting cost - let's say 100 Euro per year on Bliehost shared hosting
> 2. Drupal/Modules maintenance - at least 2 times per year. 100 Euro per
one
> maintenance (Drupal and modules upgrade) = 200 Euro year
> 3. For all other extra service charge hourly rate like 40 Euro/Hour

Quote separately. Make sure this ends up in the contract as well.

> Q3: Site maintenance
>
> What problems do you see if I host several sites/Customers on the same
> account on Bluehost using Multisite feature. At least I see problem of
> upgrade. Whenever you need to upgrade drupal or modules other sites must
be
> upgraded as well. I guess this is a bad idea to host different Customers
on
> the same account?

Probably... It depends on the customers though, for some it matters; for
others not so much.
If they are paying for separate hosting, get them their own account;
please... It's better for everyone.

> Q4: Site promotion
> I have no glue how to quote for it. for example I can promote site on
> Twitter using applications like Twitadder. How much would you ask for
that?

Advertising is priced differently everywhere... Find out whatever is
cheapest and works, this will take a lot of time.