[consulting] Drupal web design as hobby - shall I start consulting?

nan wich nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 15 20:34:25 UTC 2010

Larry is quite right in this. But I'd like to point out that for many sites,
half of that "other 20%" is also not difficult - it's getting the CSS right. I
have many amazed customers who "only want a little code written" who get what
they want from just tweaking the CSS. I am frequently asked "Do I need to know
PHP?" and "Do I need to know HTML?" Well, I know consultants who don't know PHP
at all (and a few who deny it). If you really want to learn those things, I
suggest, in this order: 1) CSS, 2) PhpMyAdmin, 3) HTML, 4) cPanel, 5) PHP. And
the last one really depends on how "dirty" you want your hands to get.

Nancy

________________________________
From: Larry Garfield

Download a couple of modules, built some node types with CCK, configure a
couple of views, throw a downloaded free theme on top of them... click-click-
click-click...

Mind you, the ability to "click together" 80% of what you need is what makes
Drupal such a great platform.  You can even get some really amazing
functionality that way without writing any code, just making clever use of
existing modules.  That last 20%, however, is what separates a "looks like
Drupal" site from a finely tuned, custom-themed, customized solution.  It's
also where most of the time, effort, and money goes in a project.

Now, many many sites don't need that last 20%, or they may think they do but
really don't.  Part of a consultant's job is to help a client figure out which
of that 20% they really need, and which they can afford.

A consultant's job is to make the client happy in the end, not to give the
client what they say they want.  That's a very subtle but important
distinction. :-)