[consulting] Drupal web design as hobby - shall I start consulting?

Joop Laan joop at kiux.nl
Wed Aug 18 13:35:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 15:26, Alexei Malinovski <alexei at malinovski.org>wrote:

> 2010/8/18 Sam Plett <sam.plett at gmail.com>
>
> What you are suggesting is exactly how I do it.  I just tell them that they
>> can go ahead and purchase the hosting themselves if they want (I prefer this
>> actually because then they get billed directly and I don't have to send an
>> invoice every year) but many people don't do this as they don't know how to
>> do it.  The way I cover it is by saying that I am just facilitating the
>> purchase for them but that I am in no way responsible for the hosting
>> itself.
>>

> Glad to hear that I'not alone with such ideas :)
>

>> You talk about charging $X/hour to fix hosting problems.  I can't say I
>> have ever come across this because the hosting is not my responsibility but
>> you could definitely include this in your contract.
>>

> for example Customer wants to add more e-mail addresses and to make a
> backup at some point. He/she will request me to configure hosting account
> and I will charge the hours spent doing this.

For our customers there is a fixed price per month/year for hosting. For
additional service and support we offer pre-paid service packages. They buy
X hours of service for a year. We charge at least an half an hour per
service request. This will limit the amount of requests, as clients wait
until they have a few jobs lined up. And it also enables us to know in
advance how many service hours we have to plan/man.

Joop

>> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 6:36 AM, Alexei Malinovski <alexei at malinovski.org
>> > wrote:

>>> So we have here:
>>> - I expect Customers to require hosting to be included since they are non
>>> technical people.
>>> - I do not want to mess with hosting being responsible for uptime etc.
>>> since it is not profitable for me.
>>>
>>> What about following idea. I offer to Customer to create hosting account
>>> for them and pay for it while they cover the cost. At the same time they
>>> should agree  that I'm not responsible for up time, possible hosting errors
>>> etc. In case they have such problems I will fix them for a price X
>>> Euro/Hour.
>>>
>>> Advantages:
>>> 1. Customer doesn't need to mess up with hosting company