[consulting] American Labour Laws & Future of Labour

matt j. sorenson matt at sorensonbros.net
Sat Aug 21 14:36:47 UTC 2010

  I live in Fargo, North Dakota.

My new employer (of 2 weeks now) won't offer me benefits until after a 30-day wait, vaguely
citing a phantom "industry standard" and presumably somehow lessening the administrative burden
on the part of the HR department... I guess they want to make sure I'm not going to walk at day
29, even tho this very policy increases the likelihood of that very scenario... a
self-fulfilling HR prophecy, if you will.

I'm still waging the battle with them on that, mostly on principle now.

I've also never had a job that guaranteed anything along the lines of reasonable notice or
severance with a lay-off... *every* job has been an "at-will employment" (as it is referred to
here) situation, meaning the employee or employer may terminate the relationship at any time,
for any -- or no reason.

I'll be the last person to defend employers - especially large corporations -- that exploit
their employees (or non-employee contractors, minors, service staff, etc, as it may be). I think
it is awful. I wish a society that permits destructive human relations policies would result in
social embarrassment followed by economic destruction of the "employer" (exploiter). Sounds
dreamy, huh? The facts demonstrate it doesn't work that way, far too many people lack awareness.

I'm not opposed to improving that situation. But, as I am one of these stubborn 'mericans... I
do also resist [over] regulation. I predictably resist the notion that legislating mandates is a
sure-fire, problem-free, costless utopian solution it's made out to be, so I'm very interested
in hearing from folks in places with "good labor laws". How does it impact entrepreneurship?
innovation? invention? etc.?

There are countless stories of folks who lost their job and it was the best thing that happened,
as they are *crushing it* as independents. But for every one of them, there are probably a dozen
struggling to put food on the table... or even keeping the table. There is good and bad, where's
the balance?