[consulting] American Labour Laws & Future of Labour

Greg Holsclaw greg at t2media.com
Sat Aug 21 20:25:12 UTC 2010

Just remember that part of profits reflects the meetings of a desire or need
of a consumer. If you want to rage on the Ipod's profits, then rage on the
consumer that is buying them up in droves. Apple is meeting a market need
and the consumers seem to be willing to pay a surtax (profit) to Apple for
providing those objects.

Most profit seeking small businesses are trying to meet a market need (or
want) better than the next guy. And if they do it, but get a profit margin
for executing better than the next guy.

As far as wage control and quitting. Many times such efforts are taken
because of an information inequality. The business owner knows the
incremental value of a worker, but at times the worker doesn't. So they
don't ask for raises, or don't band together and demand to communally quit
it any demands are met.

That business owner then must figure out if they can replace the workers
with people who are currently unemployed. If they can, they will fire the
workers. If they can't (due to low unemployment, or due to training needs or
other reasons), they will give in to the worker demands or somehow reach a
compromise.

Before banding together, seek ways to reduce the information inequality
(workers to bosses). Then you will know how strong or weak a bargaining
position there might be.

But understand, some small businesses only make a few percentage points of
profit, so a 5% demand in wage increase will actually sink a business.
Banding together to all end up on the streets isn't optimal for anyone.

Bosses need to remember what is was like to be a worker sometimes, but at
times workers need to feel the responsibility of paying bills and making
payroll as well.

Greg