[consulting] Closing down the consulting mailing list?

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Tue Aug 24 13:55:15 UTC 2010

  On 8/23/10 1:27 PM, Sami Khan wrote:
> I am personally done with the whole free help issue... not really worth my
> time or energy to preach to the worker bees and virtues of being a human...
> They are too busy working to care about the things that make humans human.
Personally, I'm not done with the free help thing. It's an important
part of what distinguishes this community from other places, and open
source from other means of producing software. But I would not confuse
"preach(ing) to the worker bees" with "free help" - these are two
entirely different animals.

As to the virtues of being a human - not really for any one person to
identify, eh? Let's find as many virtues as we can, apply them to our
lives where we see fit, and all flourish in our own (morally and
ethically sound) way.

But we don't need to have the same conversation every couple months in
order to do so. The repetition degrades the value of the list; it's all
well and good to say "filter using your email software" - this works for
those of us who have been around a while, but is useless advice for
anyone new to the list. Those of us who are still reading at this point
have obviously made the choice to stick around; the ones who have left
(also known as the potentially talented lost contributors) are the ones
I'm more concerned about.

Cheers,

Bill