[consulting] iPhone App & Drupal Pricing Ballpark

Jesse Feiler jfeiler at northcountryconsulting.com
Fri Jun 18 19:31:13 UTC 2010

I totally agree with Greg's points except the last one. The iOS learning curve can be very steep (iOS was invented last week to replace the outdated "iPhone OS" name in view of the fact that iOS runs both iPad and iPhone as well as iPod touch--actually it was licensed from Cisco by Apple).

Build in a big pad and then double it, particularly if working in the physical constraints of an iPhone screen is new to you and it the navigation tools for users on both iPhone and iPad are new to you. Without this leeway, you may get an app up and running but it won't look right--and may not make it through the App Store's review if you trample on the user interface guidelines.

That said, I'm not certain the client should pay all of this start-up learning curve. First of all, I don't know how you can transfer that expertise to the client after they've paid for it. You'll have that expertise, and as Greg points out, your second iOS app is a lot easier to do. If it's for the same client, that's OK, but if it's for another client, you'll wind up charging the new client much less. Second of all, iOS is a great environment in which to develop once you get up to speed.

P.S. Read, re-read, and re-re-read the iPhone/iPad user interface guidelines, and think about what it means for users to interact with a computer that they hold in their hand.