[consulting] REVISED RFP FOR DRUPAL DEVELOPER - Deadline November 18, 2010

Ken Williams kwilliam at aed.org
Thu Nov 11 19:32:02 UTC 2010

Thanks Christopher.  I've been checking with folks here.  There are some
unfixed costs we've been waiting to come in, and they have, and I expect
the budget will land around $18 K.  Where the Drupal modules do not
already exist, we'll need to assess whether to pay for additional
programming.  Yes, I've been uncertain about the Word conversion
options, whether there is a wiki module that converts to word or PDF,
and we may just need to head toward GoogleDocs for that particular
component of the initiative

Ken Williams
Senior Technical Advisor
AED Center for Leadership Development &
Director
New Voices National Fellowship Program
1825 Connecticut Avenue, NW, #1049
Washington, D.C.  20009
202-884-8972
202-884-8419 fax
kwilliam at aed.org
http://cld.aed.org ( http://cld.aed.org/ )
http://newvoices.aed.org ( http://newvoices.aed.org/ )

Want to learn about the nation's best leadership development program
for emerging leaders?

Watch this:
http://vimeo.com/7168443

And if you are an AED employee, visit the revamped AED Workplace AIDS
Web site!
http://awac.aed.org ( http://awac.aed.org/ )

.
>>> "Christopher M. Jones" <cjones at partialflow.com> 11/11/2010 2:20 PM

This doesn't get better. Four years of experience in the Drupal space
has taught me to run from RFPs with fixed time lines and fixed (low)
budgets. Moreover, I've learned to run from clients that already have
an
idea of "what should be difficult". In fact, depending on the detailed

specs of the features you mention, some of them could be involved
(e.g.,
"Conversion to Word." That's huge, right there).

My process when evaluating an RFP is to give a general, ballpark
estimate and then build it out if the client is still interested. Based

on what I've read in this thread, I would put this at between 2 and 300

hrs. At 100.00 / hr that would be about 30,000, more than twice your
maximum budget.

I'd suggest that you pare your rfp down to essential features-- enough

to satisfy investors' minimum expectations, and let your deadline be a

pre launch, evaluation deadline.

It's too bad. This looks like a really cool proposal.

On 11/11/2010 01:58 PM, Ken Williams wrote:

> hi Joel, the integration would not be with an existing site, we'll
have
> to do some development there, essentially with space for news
(editors),
> columns, threaded discussion, and perhaps some ad banners - fairly
> straightforward. The publishing house will be just be a basic about
us,
> news, submit a proposal, and buy a book (e-commerce). I'm not
imagining
> further integration with the main site beyond a tab or link to those
two
> sites.
> We have to pay out all of our invoices by the middle of January, as
this
> work is grant funded, hence the tight timeline. I expect us to have
all
> of the basic specs by end of next week.
> The components should not be difficult:
> Home page / network news
> Member profiles (with some adaptation as speakers bureau and
consultant
> database - e.g., a few more fields)
> Collaborative space (wiki functionality)
> Threaded discussions - usually about a current event or framing an
issue
> An idea databank (form driven, tagged or searchable, convertabile to
Word)
> [...]
> Ken Williams
> Senior Technical Advisor
> AED Center for Leadership Development &
> Director
> New Voices National Fellowship Program
> 1825 Connecticut Avenue, NW, #1049
> Washington, D.C. 20009
> 202-884-8972
> 202-884-8419 fax
> kwilliam at aed.org <mailto:kwilliam at aed.org>
> http://cld.aed.org <http://cld.aed.org/>
> http://newvoices.aed.org <http://newvoices.aed.org/>
> Want to learn about the nation's best leadership development program
for
> emerging leaders?
> Watch this:
> http://vimeo.com/7168443
>
> And if you are an AED employee, visit the revamped AED Workplace
AIDS
> Web site!
> http://awac.aed.org <http://awac.aed.org/>
>  >>> Joel Farris <joel at transparatech.com> 11/11/2010 11:49 AM >>>
> Ken, am I reading this correctly? $12,000 for development of a new
> Drupal site that will "fully integrate" with an existing online
> newspaper/publishing site, have user profiles + forums, and to be
> completed in only three weeks of development? (at ~$100/hr for
drupal
> expertness, that's 120 hours)
>
> This can't possibly be right, can it? I mean, the technical specs
alone
> would take about 40 hours to document before even beginning work due
> the "integration" aspects of the site, and that's even before you
count
> the "what does it look like" in regards to theming.
> --
> Joel Farris
> TransparaTech, Inc
>

> On Nov 11, 2010, at 7:56 AM, Ken Williams wrote:
>
>  > Note: We have changed the RFP to invite bids from developers
outside
> the DC metropolitan area.
>  >
>  > Contact: Ken Williams
>  > Senior Techical Advisor
>  > AED Center for Leadership Development
>  > kwilliam at aed.org
>  > 202-884-8972
>  >
>  > Call for Proposals
>  > Drupal Portal Developer
>  > Consultant/service provider must be an advanced programmer who
can
> demonstrate capacity and experience in developing scalable,
enterprise
> level sites within a short time frame, and provide at least 5
> demonstration sites and client references.
>  > The portal will include both private / members only content
> (intranet) and public content (extranet).
>  > The portal will include user profiles, threaded discussions,
> collaborative spaces, document libraries, searchable databases,
> integration with an online newspaper and publishing house, and
> multi-media content.
>  > This is a fixed price agreement for development of the site.
Maximum