[consulting] What Causes Feast or Famine?

Christian Pearce pearcec at xforty.com
Mon Apr 11 18:53:59 UTC 2011

Hi Fred,

What does it for us is the following

1. I monitor drupal jobs and group postings for jobs. We have a strong sweet spot of having excellent systems (LAMP) skills and generalized development experience. Combining those to I search for jobs that fill that niche.
2. Working with a group of people. Being one person it is really hard to sell yourself and work your projects at the same time. I have consistently gotten more leads and been able to track them down. Versus getting a lead and being in the middle of a project. This is a division of labor issue.
3. The longer I have been in business with a group of people the more we are getting referrals.
4. If you are are developer try to team up with a designer. They are much better at tracking down new business. One reason is once the site is designed and themed there isn't more much they can do from a maintenance perspective. Plus they do a much better job at leading when it comes to the sales process. This assumes your site builder. Which it sounds like you are.

As far as updating your website. That might help. We mention Drupal once on our site. I have been with xforty for 2+ years and have won a lot of Drupal business. So much so we haven't had time to launch a new website. We are close but we are very busy.

----- "Fred Jones" <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I was thinking of making myself a website and then trying to put
> some energy into whatever it is that might help attract more work to
> me, as opposed to my current system of chasing after it.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated. :)
>
> Thanks,
> Fred

xforty technologies