[consulting] (no subject)

Jamie intoxination at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 13:48:20 UTC 2011

There's a few issues this brings to mind. First off would be the terms.
If you are using their office and their internet and the internet goes
down for a couple of hours, leaving your down, while you be paid for
your time? If I'm working at home and my net goes down, there is always
other things I can do (maybe even clean the house!).

The bigger issue, is a legal one and depends upon how you operate as a
business. I suggest checking out this page:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99921,00.html

I did something very similar in the early 90s. I had a client that was a
local municipality, handling their computer systems (and ironically one
of the main systems was their tax system). I had an office in the city
building also, even though I was an independent contractor. The
requirements for this was:

- I had 24/7 access to my office (ie: I had a key to the city building
and my office)
- I was not obligated to work from the office. I could also work from
home and bill them.

These two items were actually at the recommendation by the head of the
city tax department, who happens to be a tax law professor now, and the
city's attorney. I don't know how much the laws have changed in the past
20 years since I haven't had the same situation come up again and the
work I do now is totally different from then, but I would consider it
very carefully. It might even be worth talking to a tax attorney about it.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net