[consulting] Non-Disclosure Concerns?

Christian Pearce pearcec at xforty.com
Fri Jul 22 14:00:28 UTC 2011

I read over the NDA to make sure there isn't anything odd. I will strike out parts from time to time. But on the whole I have no problem signing them. I also look for it to be mutual. If it isn't I usually through our NDA that is mutual back at them. That is where you can get a sense for who they are and what they want to do. It could be an indicator they are being unrealistic about the potential for some wonderful idea, but not necessarily so. I suspect it you could figure this out prior to being asked to sign an NDA (ie they say something like it will be bigger than Facebook or Twitter). If you do work with a lot of businesses it is usually par for the course.

----- "Sam Cohen" <sam at samcohen.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Was wondering about how you call feel about potential clients who ask you to sign non-disclosure agreements before discussing their project.
>
> My personal take is that when something thinks their idea is so great that other's might steel it, it's is typically an indicator that their idea is lame and been done -- unsuccessfully -- many times before.
>
> That said, are their any risks in signing an NDA? For example, can someone have an idea so broad that they can later come back and sue because I signed their NDA and something I has slight similarities.
>
> Thoughts?

Sam Cohen, Principal
> New Media Solutions
> Drupal Training & Services