[consulting] Non-Disclosure Concerns?

Ms. Nancy Wichmann nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 22 14:49:48 UTC 2011

I don't have a major problem with NDAs. However, like Christian said, read it before signing it. I often find there is more than non-disclosure in there.

Intellectual Property (IP) clauses are a different story, though. In general I will strike those out entirely. They make no sense at all in an open source project. The company's rights are fully protected under [properly worded] non-disclosure. For example, every IP clause I have ever seen says that the instant Drupal is installed, they own it. I don't have that authority. What is developed specifically for them is theirs, but nothing else. And, if having done that, some of the techniques are useful for a later client, I still have the right to use them, as long as the first company's non-disclosure is honored. I am coding, not inventing light bulbs.

Nancy

From: Dave Hall