[consulting] Recommendation for Payroll Services Needed or Other Solution for VERY Part Time Employees

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Wed Mar 16 21:05:43 UTC 2011

Hi consultants,

[This email is about some stuff that is particular to doing business in the
USA.]

I'm a freelancer but occasionally hire people to help out with various stuff
like proposal writing, research, etc. When I'm hiring other freelancers, I
pay them as contractors and submit 1099's at the end of the year. But often
I'm hiring, or want to hire, folks who are in between jobs, or students in
the summer, and they are NOT freelancers who do not want the extra work at
tax time to file the "C-3" for their own business. They just file normal
taxes and expect a W-2 from each of their employers.

So I think the time has come for me to do payroll... even though there will
be months when I don't need a single payroll check issued.

What do you do for Payroll?

Do you use an online service? Or your bookkeeping software? Or an online
service associated with your bookkeeping software?

Something else?

Everything I see out there seems to be overkill since they are mostly
designed for businesses with regular employees. I'm also kind of allergic to
Quicken/Intuit solutions. But do tell if you have had a positive experience
with their products. For bookkeeping I use "First Edge" which used to be
owned by MYOB, but has since been taken over by another company.

I would much appreciate any advice you may have!

Shai