[consulting] consulting Digest, Vol 62, Issue 5

Gotham City Drupal kelly at gothamcitydrupal.com
Mon Mar 21 20:58:37 UTC 2011

I feel obliged to comment here, you most definitely ARE asking a LOT for $1K. I have to ask - when people post "jobs" like this - how on earth do people think developers can make a living doing 6 weeks of work for $1,000? This project is not an upgrade. It's a complete rebuild and migration with complete re-themeing involved. There is no discussion about this. Read the upgrade recommendations docs on Drupal.org. Even 6->7 is most often a rebuild.

Your only hope is to find someone who does Drupal for fun in their spare time and/or is financially independent with no other time obligations. And those people dont exist, so I wouldn't be too optimistic on this front. Or you can wait long enough for someone to donate their spare time and take 6-8 months to build it - a big fan or supporter. And none of these are a guarantee of quality.

I don't mean to flame, but I'm so tired of people asking for everything for nothing. It's like people think our skills are worthless. For every client who secretly thinks this is true (and hires a student, or takes the job to India, or whatever), it takes them living through a complete disaster to realize that cheap = suck. Period.

Kelly Bell
917.446.1555